ARWC recently participated in an important community-wide meeting in Cuchara hosted by the Spanish Peaks Alliance for Wildfire Protection. The meeting was a highlight of the Alliance's Summer Community Education and Training Program.
The community meeting saw a packed house of concerned citizens, Firewise community leaders and Fire Adapted Colorado network members. Various agencies and organizations reported on milestones and achievements sparked by the 2018 Spring Creek Fire in Huerfano and Costilla counties. Discussions at the meeting covered thinning efforts, a recent mass wind-throw event, a shaded fuel break demonstration and prescribed burning.
ARWC Chief Operations Officer Carrie Adair and Fuels Mitigation Specialist Margaret Strozyk were featured speakers at the community meeting along with:
• Destiny Chapman and Dennis Page, U.S. Forest Service.
• Paul Branson and Jared Fleming, Colorado State Forest Service.
• Sammie Molinaro, Natural Resource Conservation Service.
• Craig Yenzer, Spanish Peaks Alliance for Wildfire Protection.
• Ron Jameson, La Veta Fire Protection District.